– The artificial intelligence powering Google’s new Pixel 3 is some of the most powerful in the world, but this AI has an almost scary trick up it’s sleeve. One that Google is not even talking about and we definitely didn’t see coming. – I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that. (techno music) – So, Google has been doing some pretty crazy things with AI and not too long ago they showcased being able to actually take phone calls, and make phone calls, book appointments, all of that with the Google Assistant. (phone ringing) – Hello, how can I help you? – Hi, I’m calling to book a women’s haircut for a client. I’m looking for something on May 3rd. – Sure, give me one second. – Mm-hmm (laughter) – Google’s camera uses their new AI to be the undisputed camera champion without the hardware or the amount of lenses that a lot of these other cellphones have these days.
Its pretty crazy that their software and AI can make up for the difference in the actual hardware of this camera versus other cellphone cameras on the market right now. Now, a couple of weeks ago we took at GoPro’s new HERO7, with it’s gimbal-like stabilization. And it is the real deal. They’re using software and optical image stabilization to remove the need for a gimbal. And in that video we even mentioned that if that stabilization could come to a smartphone – That would be gamer changer. – If you want to check out that video, definitely do that. Little did we know then, that this Pixel 3 might actually have that. GoPro’s entire selling point behind the new GoPro HERO7, was their HyperSmooth, their gimbal-like stabilization, and Google hasn’t even mentioned it in the Pixel 3. – There are a lot of brilliant new superpowers coming in Pixel 3’s camera. But we didn’t have time to get through them all. – But some reviewers, have taken notice. – Stabilization is absolutely impeccable. This is actually a handheld shot, but it looks like it is on a tripod which is ridiculous.
– And, we have taken some footage of our own on this Pixel, and I was shocked. It looks insane and might actually rival the stabilization of GoPro’s new HyperSmooth HERO7. Can Google’s AI create features that they don’t even mention that other companys are creating whole products and launch events for? Let’s find that out today. Does the AI on Google’s new Pixel 3 have the ability to kill the gimbal in a smartphone? Let’s get out there and go on a little bit of an adventure and find out. (techno music) (phone ringing) Oh, fun! Hello? – Hi! – I’m about to leave except I’m trying to film a video. I’m in the middle of filming a video right now. But like, we’re almost done.
We’re like just filming the b-roll shots, we’re about to leave. And we’ll pick you up and head over together on the way. – Okay. – Five, I’ll be there in five, or we’ll leave in five and I’ll see you, okay? – Yeah, you won’t be leaving in five but… – Alright, see ya in a bit. – Bye. – Okay, bye. (techno music) – Good Morning, everybody! This is the first time I’m at Lake Louise. I’m freezing. It’s six in the morning. Actually, we left at like six in the morning, it’s actually eight in the morning. Just feels like six in the morning, cause we got up so freaking early. But it’s gorgeous, dude. Never have I ever been here so early, when there is zero cars in the, three cars in the parking lot.
Yeet. – It is a little bit quite fricking freezing init? (mumbling) – Mhmm. – Alright, so we are at the beautiful Lake Louise right now. The sun is just rising, we got out here to test out the Pixel 3 stabilization versus the GoPro’s HERO7 HyperSmooth. We have Levi with us today. This is my little bro. And he is going to be our model to kind of film. So I am going to be chasing you down, and try and see how stable these guys are. So, uh got a little bit of construction going on in the background, which is always nice. So, let’s get started and do a few quick tests to see which camera is more stable. Okay, so I’m going to start these both out at 4k 30 fps, with the stabilizer on.
Get the GoPro going at the same speed there. Camera is too cold for stabilization. Whoa! The GoPro is giving me a alert, look at that. Video stabilization temporarily disabled. Camera is too cold for stabilization. Well that puts a little bit of a hiccup in things. Huh. – Does anybody have a space heater? – What? That’s a thing? I guess we gotta warm the GoPro before it starts working. The Pixel is working fine.
– And, the winner is the Pixel! – Pixel 3 with an actual working stabilizer. I mean it’s not that cold, like – It’s like minus 15 degrees dude. (mumbling) (laughing) – I feel like my fingers are about to fall off any second now. – This is supposed to be an action camera designed for these. Like, imagine you are like snowboarding, or doing an action sport in the cold, the stabilizer stops. – David Jones was having problems with it too, with the new 7. – Really? – Yeah, he said it would cut out every once and awhile when it was too cold. I think it would just crash, some of it in. – Interesting. – He’s like I haven’t had this problem with any other GoPros, but the 7 seems to have problems with the cold. – So, I guess our only option is we can hop into the hotel for a minute and try and warm up the GoPro. There is the beautiful. (snow blower) Ah, don’t you just love nature. Alright, let’s go in the hotel for a quick minute. – Let’s go get a room. (serene music) ♪ When everything is white ♪ ♪ Green, silver, white ♪ ♪ And stillness fills the night ♪ ♪ It’s Christmas ♪ ♪ A winter wonderland ♪ ♪ A snowball in each hand ♪ ♪ Take me away, Christmas Day ♪ ♪ There’s joy in the air ♪ ♪ Family is near ♪ ♪ We give thanks for this past year ♪ ♪ Oh, nothing compares ♪ ♪ To the love that we share ♪ ♪ Oh, what a place.
♪ (rock music) ♪ So stoked we are getting done ♪ ♪ Bags packed and we’re on the run today ♪ ♪ We’re really on our way, ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Feeling like we’ll soon explode ♪ ♪ Got the good, on party mode, okay ♪ ♪ Till we’re on our way ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ – So if you test in 4k on here, but I have a suspicion that on the Pixel, 1080p is going to be a lot more stable because of a cropping-in in 4k. So, I’m going to switch to 1080p and see if that makes a difference. – Alright, ready? Okay, just getting it stable and yeet it, go. ♪ And our friends sure will tag along ♪ ♪ Cause todays day they all will join ♪ ♪ It’s great ♪ ♪ We’re really on our way ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Don’t ya bail now when all is said ♪ ♪ Cause today is the day that all our friends will join ♪ ♪ Okay, okay, okay, okay ♪ ♪ That’s what it’s all about ♪ – Go! ♪ We aren’t here for fun ♪ ♪ We want you all to join our cult ♪ ♪ Let’s get together ♪ ♪ Party all together ♪ ♪ Party all day long and party all the night, don’t stop ♪ ♪ Let’s get together ♪ ♪ Party all together ♪ ♪ We’re gonna hit it hard ♪ ♪ The police should be on their guard today ♪ – 1080p, now let’s switch back to 4k.
♪ And every song on our stereo ♪ ♪ Can make a party start and really blow ♪ ♪ Just come along, come along ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ We aren’t here for fun we want you all to join our cult ♪ – No! – I think our work here is done. – I agree. Alright, sweet test complete. High five, buddy! (mumbling) ♪We aren’t here for fun ♪ ♪ We want you all to join our cult ♪ ♪ Let’s get together ♪ ♪ Party all together ♪ ♪ Party all day long ♪ (laughter) – That parking lots almost as full as my DMs. (laughter) Pretty freaking empty. (hip hop music) – Alright, we’re ready to go. – Alright, let’s go. (hip hop music) – Okay, we are now at Lake Louise. We were already at Lake Louise, but now we’re at Lake Lousie the ski resort because we figure what better way to test out stabilization than a little bit of action sports.
Now, I’m going to be filming Levi doing some sick shredding. And we’re going to see, can you use a Pixel 3 and get the same stabile gimbal-like footage without a gimbal. With just this, which is actually a pretty shaky rig. It’s not really that great for stabilization. We tried to kind of center it as good as we can. So, yeah we’ll see if that works.
It will be very interesting. Let’s give it a shot. – Alright, filming on Pixel and filming on GoPro. You ready? (rock music) ♪ So stoked we are getting done ♪ ♪ Bags packed and we’re on the run today ♪ ♪ We’re really on our way ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Feeling like we’ll soon explode ♪ ♪ Got the good, on party mode ♪ ♪ Okay ♪ ♪ Till we’re on our way ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ And our friends, sure, will tag along ♪ ♪ Cause today’s the day they all will join ♪ ♪ It’s great ♪ ♪ We’re really on our way ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Don’t ya bail now when all is said ♪ ♪ Cause today’s the day that all our friends will join ♪ ♪ Okay Okay Okay Okay ♪ ♪ That’s what it’s all about ♪ ♪ We aren’t here for fun ♪ ♪ We want you all to join our cult ♪ ♪ Let’s get together ♪ ♪ Party all together ♪ – Alright, so I realize that this rig is actually the shakiest thing of all time and can be hard to control.
So, I think I’m going to swap to just actually holding the phone in my hand, with the GoPro attached to it. I think it’s going to be ideal because this rig is hard to hold and annoying as hell. Also, it is icy conditions dude. It’s not ideal, but still a good test for the stabilization. – Lake Louise is breaking my heart. – Alright, so run number two, run number dos. The conditions are pretty rough. And I’m now filming with my hands. I am just holding the camera now.
So hopefully that works a little better. But look at that view guys. Also curious to just compare footage. What would you rather use your cellphone for this kind of stuff, or a GoPro? What looks nicer. What do you guys think? What’s it looking like? It looks beautiful. Oh my. Oh yes. It is a sad day for Lake Louise. – It is a sad day to be a snowboarder. It’s a sad day to be a skier too.
I don’t feel as bad for skiers but still. – Cause they’re skiers. – Cause they’re skiers. Yeah. – You know. I’m talking to you. – Like that guy right there, that one. ♪ When I think about the way we used to be ♪ ♪ When I think about the things you took from me ♪ ♪ I know that I am so much better ♪ ♪ Better ah ♪ ♪ When I look at what I done now that we’re apart ♪ ♪ When I look at what I’ve won, I’ve come so far ♪ ♪ I know I’m so much better off ♪ ♪ And baby you don’t belong ♪ ♪ (guitar playing) ♪ ♪ I could feel it in my bones ♪ ♪ There was something going on ♪ ♪ That sheet of doubt ♪ – Whatcha doing there, bud? Keep your eyes on the lookout.
(muffled speech) – So, we got some shots and we’re back in the gondola now. I am curious to see what that looks like but I obviously don’t know because we have been filming the shots. So , we’ll have to check back on the footage at the end and see how it all worked. But, we revised the rig a little bit. I was filming with just the phone for awhile. But I thought it’d be fun to try and get some pole shots because there is a lot more shake on the pole. So if I can extend this all the way, like this is kinda the idea. Hopefully that works out. The reason the GoPro is plugged in right now is because the GoPro batteries and the GoPro in general just does not work well in the cold. Like the stabilizer keeps saying it turned off because of the cold. And then the GoPro itself just keeps dying.
Cause the battery just gets too cold and it freezes. So, overall not impressed with the GoPro’s cold performance. Other than that if you keep it plugged in and keep it warmed up then it seems to be working pretty good. So that is our revised rig. Hopefully that works out and gives us some more unique different footage. (electronic music) – Alright there you go. The Pixel 3 stabilization, that’s insane. – That was impressive. Last time we made a video about stabilization, the GoPro Hero7, check that out, link in the description, we were amazed. Today, we are amazed again. – Can’t believe the Pixel has this. Like it’s a feature they didn’t even advertise. – How do you even do that? How do you have a feature so good, like GoPro, the whole point of their new flexshift camera was HyperSmooth, how stable that was the whole point of the camera.
Google Pixel has amazing stabilization, they don’t even mention it. – So the real question is then, is it better though? Is a feature that they didn’t even mention better than the whole selling point of the HERO7? – Yes. – It is. But only in some situations. – In some situations. The thing is HyperSmooth is a beast of the future. It’s the real deal. – If you are really shaky with the Pixel it will max out the Pixil’s stabilization and its not as good as the GoPro. – I haven’t seen the stabilization of the GoPro be maxed out that often. – In theory it must be possible.
But I haven’t seen it. – Yeah, I wonder. Next episode. – We did see that with the Pixel though. So we have some footage, especially when I’m running with the phone, you do see the micro jitters a little dimmer. – But, when you hold the camera very steadily you get this amazing. First of all, you get super stabile footage because of the lenses the Pixel uses it keeps it very natural looking compared to the GoPro. – Yeah. It’s very cinematic. – Very cinematic. Very natural looking. With the GoPro at the end of the day, you have the wide angle. – It always looks like the GoPro. – Exactly. – Exactly. So if you’re doing that sort of GoPro type action sports then it’s acceptable.
But if you want to get a really cool shot, you really can’t with the GoPro. It’s always like, it always has that GoPro look. The moral of the story. – It’s taken over. – Yes. The moral of the story is that the Pixel is better in some situations, but in general I would say the stabilization, I would say, is not as good. – So the way I would put it is, the GoPro stabilization is better than the Pixel’s. But, the Pixel’s stabilization is so good sometimes there will be no difference. So you might actually prefer going for the Pixel. – Exactly. Because of that cinematic look in a lot of features, and the convenience of having the phone in your pocket.
It’s so nice. – Exactly. – Like it’s so useful. – You have your phone in your pocket anyway all the time. – Do you need an action camera in 2018 still? I think yes. – It depends on what you’re doing. – Yes, exactly. If you’re doing some more extreme sports, especially where you’re putting the camera somewhere where it’s in danger. – Actually, if you want to mount your camera anywhere, you might prefer going for the GoPro. However, If you’re going to have your phone safely in your hands. – Also, it works better in the cold. – Video stabilization temporarily disabled, camera is too cold for stabilization.
– Which is a crazy thing we didn’t see coming. You’d think the GoPro would be the best for all kinds of action intense scenarios. But, we had to have it plugged in the whole time because it kept dying cause the cold. It literally said the stabilizer was turned off because of the cold. – And we didn’t have that with the Pixel. – Also want to mention that after we filmed this video, actually, my friends wanted me to go out and shoot them snowboarding on the new terrain park that just came out, nearby.
And, I actually went for the Pixel to go film them, instead of the GoPro. Where I would usually always go for the GoPro. Cause that is what I use for that kind of video. I was like, no, the Pixel is gonna be easier. It’s not gonna freeze in the cold. I’m gonna get that cool high dynamic range and that cool cinematic look. It just felt like the right choice and it worked amazing. You can literally use your phone for something that we were wowed about just moments, literally weeks ago. – A couple of weeks ago, we were amazed by this new development in the camera world.
And here, the Pixel have it, in it’s camera. – I think this is a testament. Google is killing it with AI, and the fact that that AI just happened to make amazing stabilization also it seems like. – That’s what makes the Pixel great. The AI. The reason the camera is great – the AI. Why is Google Assistant so much better than Siri? Because Google has better AI than Apple. Though it pains me to say because I use Apple phones. But Siri is so dumb. Siri is so dumb. – It makes you wonder, what are we going to get in a phone next. The AI for this phone has made everything so good, and now you almost don’t need like an action camera. What’s going to be next? – What other product are we going to put into the phone? – What other crazy things can we do to these phones is a maybe better question.
– Well, let me tell you. – Tune in next time for our season finale. – Last video of 2018. Season finale of Season 1. – Yup. That will be crazy. Last video of 2018. The season finale of these awesome tech-webisodes. If you’ve enjoyed the ride for awhile, definately tune into the last episode of this season. Last episode of 2018. It’ll be a doozy. – Oh yeah. I have no idea what we’re going to do but it’s gonna be big. So you better subscribe. Hit the bell to be notified the moment it goes up. – And we hope you guys have enjoyed this Season 1 and are hyped for more. – We have Season 2 coming February, by the way. Don’t think you’re going to get rid of us for too long. – Exactly. – We’ll be back before you know it. – Yeah, hope you’re hype for that next episode. Leave a like on this one, leave a comment. Let us know what you think. We’ll see you all for the season finale.
Peace. (upbeat music) .